This smoothies, like many of my recipes, was born out of necessity. You see, I still had a lot of frozen pineapple and frozen orange slices in my freezer that I had thrown in there before a trip. What is the point of saving fruit from going bad if it just sits in the freezer for months?
I had also finished an intense workout and felt exhausted. I mean, I’m not trying to advocate caffeine-dependence, but I needed a boost of energy. Luckily for me, I had just purchased a tin of ceremonial grade Japanese matcha! A cup of matcha has just about the same amount of caffeine as a cup of coffee, so I made a smoothie that would complement the color and taste of matcha.
- 1/3 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup filtered water
- 1/4 avocado
- handful of frozen or fresh spinach
- 1/2 orange, frozen
- 1/2 cup frozen pineapple
- 1/2 tsp organic ceremonial grade Japanese matcha
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
*I specify Japanese matcha because it is likely to contain less lead than matcha from other origin countries, like China*
- Add all ingredients to a blender and puree until smooth or desired consistency is reached.