As a student, I love finding easy and cheap ways to make meals that are delicious and nutritious. This waffle sandwich can be made with a few ingredients that keep costs low and satisfaction high!
Btw, this is my first post of 2020! I have been in a dietetic internship combined with a master of science degree in nutrition program and it has kept me very busy. Recipes like this make life easier, hope you try it 🙂
I could eat this for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. But I usually make it for a quick lunch. Although the recipe calls for broccoli, you could easily substitute it for a veggie you prefer or have on hand. I’ve used frozen mixed veggies, spinach, chopped bell peppers, etc.
The basics: waffles, frozen veggies, oil spray… and of course eggs (not pictured).
The key to keeping the cost low is to buy store brand when you can. I am not sponsored by any of these brands, but talk to any Texas resident and they’ll tell you how great H-E-B store-brand items are.
Provolone cheese and Tapatio sauce round out the flavor.
These are what I like to call flavor boosters. They make the food taste good, improving the satisfaction factor! They are also optional for this recipe, feel free to omit them. If you don’t use these, you might want to consider adding 1/4 tsp salt to your egg.
- 2 frozen waffles (I like whole grain varieties)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup frozen chopped broccoli
- 1 slice provolone cheese
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- Sprinkle of ground black pepper (~1/8 tsp)
- Spritz of oil spray
- Cook waffles according to package directions. I like to put mine in the toaster with the “defrost” setting for a minute, then the regular setting for a few more minutes to ensure they are cooked through.
- In a small egg pan on medium heat, add the broccoli and and heat until cooked, about 5 minutes. *You could thaw the broccoli a day ahead in the refrigerator and save time*
- Spray the broccoli with oil and mix well. Add the two large eggs and quickly combine, breaking up the yolk and distributing the broccoli.
- Flip the egg as soon as it is firm enough to hold its shape. Cook the egg for 5-10 minutes or until cooked through.
- Top the egg with provolone cheese and transfer to a waffle to make the sandwich. Sprinkle the other waffle with hot sauce and add to the sandwich.
- Enjoy! Add more hot sauce as needed.